• Andrew Jonhardt

Happy New Year

2018 was a long year for me, and on this first day of 2019 I've decided to change some things. In fact, my plans are likely to continue changing until this evolves into more than a blog and a promise.

I will publish Psychic Scrap Racers on Itch.io once I complete the prototype. Partly, this is due to the problems underlying Psychic Scrap Racers. The main reason, however, is a lack in my Unity skills that becomes more obvious the more I work on the prototype.

I'm projecting that it will take another 6 months, if not a year, for me to finish the prototype of the Psychic Scrap Racers digital version. That's 6 months, working in my spare time, without the ability to invest in other ideas beyond jotting notes on my phone.

I want to reach the point where I can knock out a prototype in 1 to 3 months. In pursuit of this, I'm planning to follow up the Psychic Scrap Racers prototype with 2 currently unnamed prototypes. 1 will be based on an idea that I had for a novel that never worked as a novel (likely another card game), and the other will be a return to the first project I ever tried on my own in Unity (a simple action title). The hope is that I'll pick up skills and, more importantly, acquaintances and interest so I can take 1 of my 3 prototypes to Alpha, and then on to Beta and release.

In terms of the actual status of Psychic Scrap Racers, I'm afraid to say I'm stuck on the problem of zooming into a card when a mouse is hovering over it. Thankfully, this is a stuck that could be solved next weekend. If it's not, I'll go make my first ever post on the Unity forms.

The problems I did solve were actually really easy to find. The most useful were:

1. A script for randomizing a deck:

public List<Transform> dCards = new List<Transform>();

for(int c = 0; c < dCards.Count; c++)


Transform temp = dCards[c];

int randomCard = Random.Range(c, dCards.Count);

dCards[c] = dCards[randomCard];

dCards[randomCard] = temp;


2. A script to dynamically set the spacing of cards in the player's hand to avoid spillover and create a snazzy automatic "cards fold together" effect:

public HorizontalLayoutGroup hLG;

public RectTransform myWidth;

int dynamicCardCount = transform.childCount;

hLG.spacing = (myWidth.rect.width - (dynamicCardCount * panelSpaceVar))/(dynamicCardCount - 1);

Cards without compression script

Cards with compression

As you can see, I also took the time to apply the card design lessons I learned last week, and I'm liking the results so far.

Alot happened for me in 2018. I lost a job and found a much better one. I learned that gym exercise is more efficient than Kung Fu for controlling your weight (1 hour of gym = 3 hours of Kung Fu for me). And, most importantly for this blog, I finally began developing my game ideas into something others can play. Until next week.

Recent Posts

See All

I'm shutting down this blog

I've been struggling to focus on anything this month. Maybe it's because I'm a year older, and nowhere closer to where I want to be. Maybe I'm sick of working in computer administration and support, a

© 2023 by Andrew Jonhardt. Proudly created with Wix.com